Monday, August 27, 2007

Friends, what are they for you?

As a girl raised in a closed-knit family ties, I value togetherness and sense of belonging more than anything...Through the elementary years and my adolescence years I have several close friends who are still in contacts until we are grown ups now...Of course, as time goes by, we dont have much opportunities to meet that often...our jobs, our life, our families seem to separate us far and further...But still, we are friends until today...

With my friends, I experience many moments--nice, sad, funny, hillarious, devastating--everything comes to pieces...I always value friendship, as I always consider my friends, are, my friends...like those written on huggable teddy bears that once very famous in Jakarta--forever friends--I can always count on them, laugh with them, cry with them, and tell them everything.....I can be who I am with them, and I always try not to dissapoint them, not to let them down, not to...turn away from them...I never knew such phrase called `old friends` as my hubby struck me this evening when I told him about one of my friends whom I consider nowadays as distant and far-reached...As my hubby told me`Well, maybe she considers you as an old friend...she has found a new one which is more interesting and share common things, maybe she feels that you are no longer that important to her...as for her, you are just an old friend...a friend in the past...`

A friend in the past? Of course, I didnt agree with this term...but as I think about it thoroughly, well....it could be....But why? My hubby then told me again `Dont ask why...you just decide, is she your friend or not?` Well, yes, but she`s my friend, not my old friend...Well, maybe my hubby is right, maybe there are categories in friends....maybe there is a term an `old friend` for some people....friend who are in the past...friend who are no longer that important to you...

And as my hubby told me again, `Do not ask people to understand you....but always try to understand people, and your life will be much better...`So, I inhale deeply, and decide, well, maybe I have to move on...Maybe I have to believe the term `old friend` as they exist...and, maybe I just learn a new lesson in making friends...and maybe the term `friends forever` is too naive and too idealistic...

As I feel sad.....there is a message from my high school friend in Friendster, she said, she missed me, she asked me where I am now...and she said she met one of our closest friends in a hospital (she is a doctor now), just like that, the message is just out of the blue....and I realize...there are friends out there who still cares for you....and of course, they are not....old friends....

No comments: